skip to Main Content

Zamfara Abduction: Governor Bello Matawalle Announces The Release Of Over 300 Jangebe Schoolgirls

Zamfara Abduction: Governor Bello Matawalle Announces The Release Of Over 300 Jangebe Schoolgirls

Governor of Zamfara State, Dr. Bello Matawalle has on Tuesday morning announced the released of over 300 female students of Girls Secondary School, Jangebe kidnapped last week.

MDB reported last weekend that the schoolgirls were abducted on Friday by bandits who stormed their school on motorcycles and Hilux vehicles.

Confirming the incident, Commissioner of Police in Zamfara, Abutu Yaro revealed that 317 female students of the school were kidnapped.

Two days after the attack, report about their release went rife on social media, adding that the victims were on their way to Gusau, the state capital, to meet with Governor Bello Matawalle. However, the state government debunked the report.

Giving a fresh update, the Governor disclosed their release in a statement on social media on Tuesday, citing that the state scaled “several hurdles laid against our efforts.”

He said;

It gladdens my heart to announce the release of the abducted students of GGSS Jangebe from captivity.

This follows the scaling of several hurdles laid against our efforts. I enjoin all well-meaning Nigerians to rejoice with us as our daughters are now safe.

He also shared photos of the schoolgirls.

Governor Matawalle, who received the girls at about 5am on Tuesday in Gusau, said the girls were returned safely without paying any ransom.

He expressed;

This is the result of our peace effort and putting to shame all those saying there is no security in this country.

We have been in discussion since Friday with the abductors and reached agreement on Monday by 4pm that the girls were released.

Matawalle added;

We are happy that all 279 have safely returned, they will undergo medical checks and given balanced diets to recupperate by the state government before they are handed back to their respective families.

I want to appeal to parents not to remove their children from school as a result of this, we will ensure additional security in all the schools.
We thank all media outlets for their support throughout these trying times.

See some photos of the released students below;

This Post Has 0 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back To Top
×Close search
Search