Zawadi Africa Education Fund is a leadership development program that provides university scholarships and leadership development and life skills training to academically gifted but financially disadvantaged African girls, with the objective of developing a pipeline of young African women leaders.
Zawadi Africa was formed with the belief that together with a world class education and the right character development, these young African women will be able to return to their home countries empowered and equipped with the skills needed to make significant, positive impact in their communities in a continent where traditionally women have not had a voice in the development of their community.
The Zawadi Africa Education Fund was founded in 2002 by Dr Susan Mboya, and is based on the highly successful Kennedy-Mboya Africa Student Airlifts Program of the 1960’s, pioneered by Tom Mboya, (Dr. Mboya’ s father), and President John F. Kennedy.
The Kennedy/Mboya airlifts educated over 1000 bright young East Africans who went on to become Africa’s post-independence leaders. They include, among their alumni, the late Professor Wangari Maathai (Nobel Peace Prize Laureate), and Barack Obama Sr., Father of President Barack Obama. Zawadi Africa Education Fund is a 501 (c) 3 registered in the US.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship, the following criteria must be met
- A girl who has completed her secondary school examination i.e. The Kenya Certificate of Secondary Examination (KCSE)
- Has demonstrated academic excellence ( A- or A Plain or a B+ under exceptional circumstances i.e From marginalised areas)
- Has demonstrated leadership qualities e.g. in school as a prefect, in the community, church, leadership in peer related activities etc.)
- Has overcome insurmountable odds such as serious financial challenges, oppressive social-cultural practices such as early marriages and Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) etc. in order to attain academic excellence.
- Come from a financially disadvantaged background.
- Has demonstrated clear financial need
HOW TO APPLY
If you meet the above criteria, please download our Zawadi 2016 Application form
If you are applying from Ghana, click here to apply.