The Atlas Corps English Teaching Fellowship (ETF) is an English teaching opportunity in Colombia for emerging professionals. This opportunity is a new collaboration between Atlas Corps, Heart for Change, Volunteers Colombia, the Ministry of Education and Servicio Nacional de Aprendizaje (SENA) to facilitate the development of a prosperous Colombia where children and youth have the opportunity to receive a high-quality bilingual education. It is Colombia’s largest bilingual program.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- English language skills, as native language proficiency or equivalent
- Spanish language skills, at basic level or higher (we encourage all levels of Spanish to apply)
- Interest in serving in an educational environment (we will provide the methodology, you provide the inspiration and energy)
- Age range between 21 to 50
- April 2016 (SENA placements only) – April 10 – December 15, 2016
- June 2016 (MEN and SENA): June Fellows replace one-semester teachers from January, so the number of positions depends on how many January teachers choose to extend their contract. Placements should be known in April.
- SENA start date: June 4, 2016
- MEN start date: July 3, 2016
This unique overseas experience is an opportunity to enhance your own professional portfolio while inspiring a generation of learners in Colombia.
- Teach and/or co-teach with a local Colombia English instructor 25 hours per week of English instruction, including teaching, co-teaching, and conversation clubs
- Participate in a two-way learning process in about 15 hours per week to improve English proficiency, which may include administrative-related activities, such as lesson planning, meetings with fellow teachers, paperwork, etc.
- Attend local partners training days, schedule will coordinate with placement site.
- Develop reports and follow up processes, as the supervisor requires.
- Before arrival candidates must pay a $400 USD deposit, which will be returned to them upon successful completion of their contract.
- Applicants must pay for their own travel to and from Colombia.
- Participants will work at facilities throughout Colombia. Placement cities for 2016 include: Bogotá, Medellín, Armenia, Manizales, Pereira, Ibagué, Cali, Cartagena, Barranquilla, Santa Marta, Villavicencio, Valledupar, Bucaramanga, Buga, Pasto, Popayán, Villa de Leyva, Neiva, Palmira, Itagui, Caldas and a number of small towns.
- Applicants will learn more about specific cities during the application process. We encourage applicants to be flexible.
- A two-week orientation in Bogotá, Colombia
- Visa and Colombian ID
- Training in pedagogy
- Certificate of program completion
- Colombian medical insurance
- A 1,500,000 Colombian Peso (COP) monthly stipend
- First month free accommodation
- Bonus upon completion of the program
- 24/7 support from Regional Coordinators
- Co-teaching with experienced Colombian English teachers
- Transportation from Bogotá to your placement city
- Volunteers Colombia and Heart for Change staff will support the participants throughout the entire program, including facilitating as needed conversations between Fellow and placement staff.
- Orientation Week includes: training on English teaching techniques and logistics related to living in Colombia (visa, identification, bank accounts, mobile phones, and more)
- Volunteers Colombia and Heart for Change staff will check in with participants regularly, and will do site visits to make sure the program is running smoothly.