The New Zealand International Doctoral Research Scholarship (NZIDRS) is a Government funded scholarship, administered by Education New Zealand. The scholarship aims to attract and retain the best international researchers to New Zealand. The scholarship provides full tuition fees and a living stipend for up to 3 years.
Value of the Scholarship
The NZIDRS covers the following for a TOTAL of three years (36 months):
– New Zealand University annual tuition fees and associated student levies
– An annual living stipend of NZ$25,000 per year (tax free)
– Medical insurance coverage up to NZ$600 annually
Who Can Apply?
The NZIDRS is a prestigious, highly competitive scholarship. It is awarded based on academic excellence and the benefit of the candidate’s proposed research to New Zealand. Recipients of this award will have an academic record placing them within the top 5% of PhD candidates worldwide.
In order to apply for the NZIDRS you must meet ALL five eligibility criteria.
These criteria are non-negotiable.
1. You must hold a minimum grade equivalent to a GPA of 3.7 on a 4.0 scale OR an A to A+ average in your most recent or highest post graduate tertiary qualification
2. You must have a confirmed, non-conditional offer of place for a (direct-start) PhD programme at a New Zealand university
3. If you have commenced your PhD studies in New Zealand, your start date must be after 01 July 2015
4. You must conduct your PhD study in New Zealand (not from a distance)
5. You must not hold citizenship or PR status in New Zealand or Australia.
The NZIDRS are awarded based on academic excellence and the impact of the PhD research for New Zealand. Applications must propose research that has a clear, direct and tangible positive effect on:
New Zealand’s economy, in terms of international trade and business development in key sectors, OR
New Zealand’s population in terms of health and safety, OR Research and scholarship in either of the above two areas
Applications are welcomed from eligible candidates undertaking relevant research in any discipline.
Recipients can undertake PhD study at any of New Zealand’s eight Universities, all of which rank within the world’s top 500:
AUT University, Lincoln University, Massey University, University of Auckland, University of Canterbury, University of Otago, University of Waikato, Victoria University of Wellington.
Applying to Study in New Zealand
Education New Zealand (ENZ) is not a university or an immigration agency. We are a government body centred on the international education sector of New Zealand. ENZ cannot facilitate admission to a New Zealand institution or obtaining an entry visa. All candidates are responsible for their own university admission and visa process.
For detailed advice and instruction regarding course selection and enrolment, you need to contact your chosen institution, or institutions, directly. The institution website is usually the best place to start. In order to apply for the NZIDRS, you must have already received a non-conditional offer of place for PhD study at a New Zealand university.
Before You Start
1. Complete the NZIDRS Eligibility Checklist (available below)
2. Complete the NZIDRS Required Document Checklist (available below)
3. Read the NZIDRS Terms and Conditions (available below)
4. Read the NZIDRS Selection Criteria (listed above)
The NZIDRS is a prestigious, highly competitive scholarship awarded only to candidates of the highest academic merit conducting research of clear and direct benefit to New Zealand. The requirements and criteria listed here are non-negotiable. Applications that are ineligible, incomplete, or do not meet the selection criteria will not be considered under any circumstances.
- APPLY for the NZIDRS ONLY if you meet ALL eligibility criteria
- APPLY for the NZIDRS ONLY if you can provide ALL required documents by 15 July 2016
- APPLY for the NZIDRS ONLY if your proposed research clearly aligns with the selection criteria
How to Apply
1.Download and complete an NZIDRS Application Form (available below)
2.Answer all questions by completing all fields and submit your form along with ALL required documents to Education New Zealand. Applications must be received by 15 July 2016.
Documents for Download
All documents are available in Microsoft Word format.